Latest posts by SEL for Prevention (see all)
- Cheers to Massachusetts! SUCCESS! You’ve Given Social & Emotional Learning a PERMANENT Seat at the Table in Massachusetts! - August 15, 2018
- Kids are working out at boutique gyms like CrossFit and SoulCycle. Is that a good idea? - July 18, 2018
- 11 Ways Schools Can—and Should—Involve Families in SEL Programming - June 27, 2018
Social and Emotional Learning is more important now than any other time in our nation’s history. Waiting until high school to teach prevention or only providing essential services to small targeted groups is discounting the importance of SEL for the vast majority of students — and missing important windows of opportunity.
Mental Health Professionals are in a conundrum because not only are they faced with the daunting task of getting mental health into schools, but, the vast majority of their time is spent with students targeted as having issues. The average school social worker, school counselor or school psychologist spends 90% of their time providing services to 18% of the total student population. This leaves the typical child, or those that make up the other 82% of the student population, without the benefits that a mental health professional might have to offer.
General Education Teachers, on the other hand, spend on average 95% of their time with 85% of the student population. In other words, teachers are exclusively in charge of the learning and safety of the great majority of children. Teachers understand that positive mental health is important, but their focus is core curriculum and learning performance. The mental health of children becomes apparent when a student disrupts learning time. This can happen for any number of reasons; meltdowns, excessive talking, argumentative, tearing papers, etc. The immediate issue is tending to the disruptive child, the long-term issue becomes a decrease in learning time, and lowered test scores.
The SEL for Prevention Programs Bridge the Gap between Education and Mental Health by aligning the curriculum with both educational standards (CCSS) and mental health standards (SSWAA SEL standards and NASP Domains) that create a new genre of learning. This makes it not only possible, but practical for teachers to effectively and safely teach children skills and strategies that translate into better attitudes, coping skills and academic success. SEL for Prevention research results demonstrate that children who participate in the 8-step curriculum show statistically significant improvements in self-regulation and social competence—essential for an improved school climate, better test scores and healthier children.
SEL for Prevention offers an Interlocking Approach:
- 10-hour training course that is built around social-emotional learning constructs, connection to upstream suicide prevention, research based interventions and prevention, research and practical application for SEL instruction that includes demonstration of mental health and educational alignments, assessments, certification.
- Explicit SEL Skills Instruction for elementary and middle school students based on a structured 8-Step curriculum that is goal directed with specific objectives, interactive classroom activities, discussions, practice strategies, goal setting exercises and after-class reflection.
- Data-driven to easily measure success. Built into the curriculum are student self-scoring assessment tools, student quizzes, parent and teacher observational scales.
- *SEL for Prevention collaborates with the BIMAS-2 web-based software, which seamlessly integrates multi-informant universal screening and with progress monitoring features. It is an ideal tool to measure and target your interventions and provide you with data to celebrate your social and emotional learning success. The BIMAS-2 is adaptable to the SEL for Prevention learning outcomes. If using BIMAS-2, add an additional 1 hour of training.
- Parents are included in the learning by communicating the concepts from class and suggestions for reinforcing strategies while outside of school and measuring success.
Administrators feel peace of mind as they check off important initiatives as they get mental health into schools for all children.
Come to the SEL for Prevention booth to learn more about these evidence-based social-emotional learning programs, or email Pamela Goldberg at Pamela@SELforPrevention.com
*To learn more about how the SEL for Prevention programs work with the BIMAS-2 software (www.bimas2.com), stop by the Edumetrisis booth at CASP or email Achilles Bardos at email@example.com .